Behavioural Support Training Program – zoom (2 Full Days ONLINE)
October 19 @ 9:00 am - 4:00 pm EDT| $80
- Completion of either the Dementia Care Training Program (DCTP, ODCTP, or zDCTP) or U-FIRST! within the past 3 years
- Currently working with people living with dementia through professional, placement or volunteer experience
The Behavioural Supporal Training Program (BSTP) is the next step in the Alzheimer Society of Toronto’s dementia care training. This training will build on previous learned theories and concepts and enable you to have a deeper understanding of the individuals you are caring for and gain additional skills to support them in a meaningful way.
For front-line healthcare providers (such as personal support workers, dietary aides, activation and recreation staff, allied health) interested in furthering their skills and tools to support people living with dementia exhibiting responsive behaviours.
- Define Behavioural and Psychological Symptoms of Dementia (BPSDs)
- Discuss when responsive behaviours requires intervention
- Practice reflective skills and recognize that behaviour has meaning specific to the individual
- Practice verbal and written reporting skills
- Demonstrate individualized communication techniques including validation to support positive interactions with a person with dementia.
- Develop an action plan that will allow professionals to recommend and evaluate different non pharmacological approaches appropriate to the individual and their unique situation
Dates and Time (you must attend all 2 dates to complete the training):
Tuesdays – October 19 and 26 from 9:00 am to 4:00 pm
Training will be presented online using Zoom.