The most common type of legacy gift is a charitable bequest in a person’s Will. However, Canadians are realizing the benefits of giving gifts of registered assets, life insurance policies, annuities, and charitable remainder trusts.
We can have a conversation with you and your advisers to determine if a legacy gift fits your desires, financial objectives, family needs, tax situation and our funding objectives. All discussions are confidential and will not obligate you to make a gift.
How You Can Benefit from Making a Legacy Gift
Some of the many benefits of making a legacy gift to the Alzheimer Society of Toronto include:
- Tax advantages under current laws.
- Your giving can be tailored to your personal and financial circumstances.
- Your donation is made from assets, not current income.
- Gifts are planned today for distribution as some time in the future.
- Most of the gifts involve planning, however they are easy to arrange. Your financial or estate advisor will be happy to help you complete your gift.
How to Make a Legacy Gift
There are a variety of ways to give a gift, they include:
- Publicly Traded Securities – a way to make an immediate gift and eliminate capital gains tax owed.
- Bequests – an easy way to reduce estate taxes and may increase inheritances to your loved ones.
- Registered Assets – another way to significantly reduce the taxes owed by your estate.
- Life Insurance – leverage the premium payments made today into a larger lasting legacy.
- Annuities – a method to potentially increase your income and reduce taxes.
- Charitable Remainder Trust – a way to give an asset and still receive the income it now provides while insuring your gift happens just as you planned.
- Major Gifts – find out how a gift of $1,000 or more will impact our programs and services.
To request our Leave a Legacy Fact Sheets and Will Planning Guide or email Nancy Reyes at email@example.com.
The Alzheimer Society of Toronto strongly recommends that you seek professional advice to ensure your financial goals are considered, your tax situation reviewed, and your legacy gift is tailored to your circumstances.