The Alzheimer Society Toronto in partnership with Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities offers the Active Minds Club, an Adult Day Program for people living with Young Onset Dementia.
Offered two days per week in-person on Mondays and Fridays.
Active Minds Club programming is held at our NEW location:
2658 Eglinton Avenue East, Scarborough, ON
A Program Designed for You
The Active Minds Club is uniquely designed for individuals living with Young
Onset Dementia (a form of dementia before the age of 65 years) or Mild Cognitive
Programs are planned based on the interests of the participants attending. We offer
several different types of activities throughout the day that aims to stimulate and
challenge participants purposefully, cognitively, musically, physically, and creatively.
Our Recreation Therapist develops a care plan in consultation with each participant and family.
Goal of the Active Minds Club
- Enhance the quality of life by maintaining an optimum level of intellectual, physical, and social functioning
- A circle of support and comradery where all participants experience a sense of belonging
- An inclusive space that is accessible, safe, comfortable, and welcoming
- Providing the primary caregiver with respite
- Promoting a better understanding of the symptoms of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias
Active Minds Club Services & Benefits
- Person-centred, age-appropriate, and individualized care
- Respite and relief for primary caregivers
- Planned social, physical, and recreational activities which are engaging and stimulating
- Structured daily activities include indoor and outdoor exercises, music programs, mental stimulation, discussion groups, reminiscing programs, and games
- Monthly outings for members (E.G., local parks, lunch outings, Second City, Medieval Times, Toronto Pan Am Centre, volunteer trips to Second Harvest and supporting youth, etc.)
- A daily meal and coffee/tea provided
- Escorted transportation to individuals within boundaries
- PSW Support
- Alzheimer Society Toronto Counselling, Support, Information and Education Services
- Scarborough Centre for Healthy Communities Support, Health and Community Programs and Services